Thursday, March 12, 2009

What Makes Schools World Class?

If you and I have talked in the past, then you know how much I like to discuss theory and practice. Personal reflection has played a key role in my personal and professional growth, and I try to push myself to look outside my current environment as a way of gaining perspective. I want to know how things work elsewhere...I believe there are some lessons to be learned out there, just waiting for us to find them...

To that end, I've been in some discussion lately about the structure of our system. Last week at convention we talked with Stephen Murgatroyd about the need to ditch some of our curriculum...we talked with Pasi Sahlberg from Finland about the success their system has had with learning, and lately I have been in several discussions on similar topics with peers in some courses I am taking. I think it is an exciting time to be in the school system with all of the potential changes

On the topic of EDUCATION SYSTEMS I found the resource below to be VERY interesting.

I've shared it with some of my online peers as a way of helping them to understand our system here in Alberta, and also as a way of comparing and contrasting systems and looking at the details. This is an external source showing how excellent our system is! I think we often forget how good we have it here!

As I type this, I am sitting in a workshop titled LEADING FOR TODAY'S LEARNERS and we are discussing systems again. So, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I thought I'd post this here while I'm on the thought.

Check out the results of the Des Moines Register's investigation of WHAT MAKES SCHOOLS WORLD CLASS...

Cheers!


No comments: